8 decades and counting…
The Italian Club was created in 1934 after a group of Italian migrants established what was then known as ‘Casa D’Italia’. They were driven by the desire to support new Italian arrivals in Australia and, in particular, provide them with the foundation they needed to be social, forge friendships and network within their community. Members came together to attend social events such as balls and dances and to participate in a variety of activities, including billiards, cards, and darts.
On 28 October 1937, Casa D’Italia’s official building opened on Fitzgerald Street in West Perth. This remains the Club’s home today. After the start of the Second World War, Casa D’Italia was forced to close its doors and the future of the Club became uncertain. After some time and with the cessation of international hostilities, Casa D’Italia resumed trading and all social activities. In 1947, Casa D’Italia officially changed its name to the ‘WA Italian Club Incorporated’.
In 1950, the Club was registered as a licensed premises and expanded dramatically to cater for a growing membership base. By 1969, the Club had 7,000 members and strongly supported migration policy and migrant legislation. By opening its doors to the wider community, the Club became a multicultural hub where people from all backgrounds were encouraged to come together and share meals, participate in activities and attend special events.